This time, we are comparing Apple Watch vs Garmin Fenix and list the key features and differences between the Apple Watch 7 and the Garmin Fenix 7. Long story short, the most notable differences between these two is battery life, device compatibility and health features.
Here is the main differences between Apple Watch 7 and Garmin Fenix 7:
- The first difference between the Apple Watch 7 and Garmin Fenix 7 is the device compatibility. The Fenix 7 is compatible with both IOS and Android devices. Whereas, Apple Watch 7 is limited to IOS devices.
- The Fenix 7 has Solar and Sapphire Solar version as well as the standard model. The Fenix 7 Solar has extended battery life, and the Sapphire edition has sapphire crystal on its glass which is extremely stratch resistant. On the other hand, the Apple Watch 7 does not have these features.
- Apple Watch 7 comes with Electrocardiography (ECG APP) and Blood Oxygen Monitoring. The ECG does not included in the Fenix 7, but it has Pulse Oxygen reading.
- These two smart watches uses different voice assistant. The Apple Watch 7 uses SIRI which is limited to IOS devices. On the other hand, Garmin Fenix 7 supports both Google Assistant and Alexa. The assistant system of both Apple Watch 7 and Fenix 7 are able to use voice commands to search the web, ask a question, play song and even launch an app.
- From the technical spec perspective, Apple Watch 7 is lighter, slimmer, and shorter and has a wider display with a higher screen resolution. However, Fenix 7 has a longer battery life and water resistant up to 100 meters. The Apple Watch 7 water resistant up to 50 meters only which is not a deal breaker.
- The Fenix 7 uses Garmin pay for contactless payment. Whereas, Apple Watch 7 uses Apple pay.
- Both Apple Watch 7 and Garmin Fenix 7 has music storage.
- The features of Garmin Fenix 7 such as multi-frequency positioning, thermometer, and Pre-loaded Topo Maps (on Sapphire Solar) are not included in the Apple Watch 7.
Related Article: Garmin Fenix 7 vs Solar vs Sapphire Solar
Key Differences Between Apple WAtch 7 and Garmin Fenix 7
In case, you need a short answer, here is the table we have put together to help you compare Apple Watch 7 vs Garmin Fenix 7 side-by-side:
|Comparison for||Apple Watch 7||Garmin Fenix 7 / Solar / Sapphire Solar|
|Compatibility||IOS Devices||IOS and Android Devices|
|Latest Deals||Rates on Amazon|
Series 7 (GPS Only)
Series 7 (GPS+Cellular)
|Rates on Amazon|
Fenix 7 Solar
Fenix 7 Solar Sapphire
|Voice Assistant||SIRI||Alexa and Google Assistant|
|Contactless Payment||Yes (Apple Pay)||Yes (Garmin Pay)|
|Case Material||Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Titanium||Stainless steel or Titanium|
|Case Size||45 x 38 x 10.7mm|
41 x 35 x 10.7mm
|42 x 42 x 14.1 mm|
47 x 47 x 14.5 mm
51 x 51 x 14.9 mm
|Screen Resolution||396 x 484 pixels (45mm)|
352 x 430 pixels (41mm)
|240 x 240 pixels (42-mm diameter)|
260 x 260 pixels (47-mm diameter)
280 x 280 pixels (51-mm diameter)
|Display Type||LTPO OLED Always-On Retina display with Force Touch|
1000 nits brightness
|LCD MIP transflective|
|Water Rating||50 Meters|
Dustproof Cert IP6X
|Sensors||Electrical heart sensor (ECG)|
Optical heart rate sensor
Improved accelerometer up to 32 g‑forces
GPS (GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS)
|Multi-Frequency Positioning (Only on Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar)|
Preloaded Topographical Maps (Only on Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar)
Optical Heart Rate Monitor
GPS & GLONASS & GALILEO
Pulse Ox Blood Oxygen
|Microphone & Speaker||Yes||No|
|Play Music on Smartphone||Yes||Yes|
|Storage||32 GB||Standard and Solar 16 GB, Sapphire Solar 32 GB|
|Battery life||18-hours||Smartwatch: Up to 18 days/22 days with solar*|
Battery Saver Watch Mode: Up to 57 days/173 days with solar*
GPS Only: Up to 57 hours/73 hours with solar**
All Satellite Systems: Up to 40 hours/48 hours with solar*
All Satellite Systems + Multi-band: Up to 23 hours/26 hours with solar**
All Satellite Systems + Music: Up to 10 hours
Max Battery GPS: Up to 136 hours/289 hours with solar**
Expedition GPS: Up to 40 days/74 days with solar*
*Solar charging, assuming all-day wear with 3 hours per day outside in 50,000 lux conditions
**Solar charging, assuming use in 50,000 lux conditions
|Irregular heart rate alerts||Yes||No|
|Music storage||Yes (Stream Apple Music direct to watch)||Up to 2,000 songs|
Our verdict for Apple Watch vs Garmin Fenix comparison: If you want versatility, you can go with Garmin Fenix 7. On the other hand, the Apple Watch 7 is lightweight and offers a wide variety of selection. It has a more intuitive and wider display with a higher resolution.
Similar Article: Suunto vs Garmin
Apple Watch Series 7 Short Review
Apple Watch 7 comes with two different case size options. There are 41 mm and 45 mm. Both 41 mm and 45 mm case size options comes with GPS or GPS & Cellular options.
The Apple Watch Series 7 has always-on display which means you can view its watch face anytime without waking up the display. It has heart rate monitor on its back. Also, it has ECG APP and Blood Oxygen monitoring. So, it can check your heart rate regularly and alerts you in case of abnormality.
The down side of Series 7 is the reported battery life of 18-hours. However, it can go all the day when conservatively used. The Apple Watch Series 7 runs the latest operation system WatchOS 8. It can track yours sleeping, hand washing, and translation with SIRI. Furthermore, you can access the Watch App Store and down load more applications.
It can be charged up 33% faster than the older model Apphe Watch 6. You can check out our Main Differences Between Apple Watch Series 6 vs 7 post to read more in this.
Pros for Apple Watch 7:
- Wider display and higher resolution
- Inbuilt Music Storage Space
- ECG and Blood Oxygen Monitoring
Cons for Apple Watch 7:
- Lacks a dedicated sleep tracking feature
- Short battery life span of up to 18-hours
- Compatible with only the Apple Devices
Garmin Fenix 7 Short Review:
Garmin Fenix 7 offers three models which are made of either Stainless Steel or Titanium. The models are Fenix 7 Standard, Fenix 7 Solar and Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar.
The GPS is inbuilt, and you can connect to an IOS or an Android device with the Fenix 7.
The Garmin Fenix 7 is resistant up to 100 meters. In terms of battery life, it is an excellent choice. If you need more battery life, you may consider the Garmin Instinct 2 (see Garmin Instinct 2 vs Fenix 7).
Pros for Garmin Fenix 7:
- Long Battery Life
- The Improved GPS Accuracy
- The Water Resistant Depth of up to 100 meters
- Versatile as it supports Both Voice assistance (Alexa and Google Assistant) and compatible with both IOS and Android Devices.
- Wrist-Based Pulse Oxygen and heart rate
Cons for Garmin Fenix 7:
- Heavier and Bigger
- Smaller Screen with less resolution
- Expensive than Apple Watch 7
- Lacks ECG App
Similar Article: Garmin Fenix 7 vs Epix 2 compared
Bottom-line for Apple Watch vs Garmin Fenix
Which one is better Apple Watch 7 or Garmin Fenix 7? The Fenix 7 is versatile and compatible with both operating systems (IOS and Android) and voice assistants (Alexa and Google Assistant). In addition, it comes with longer battery life and deeper water resistant level compared to the Apple Watch 7.
On the other hand, the Apple Watch 7 is lightweight and offers a wide variety of selection. It has a more intuitive and wider display with a higher resolution.
To sum up the debate: If you want versatility, you can go with Garmin Fenix 7. Otherwise, for an Apple enthusiast go for Apple Watch 7.
If you really want to go with Apple Watch 7, before making your final decision, we also recommend checking our “Compare Apple Watch Series 7 vs SE” post.
By the way, if you are looking for a more budged option but feature rich considering the fitness & training, you may want to read about our “Garmin Vivoactive vs Forerunner” Review. Basically, these are the best fitness smart watch so far and can compete with high-end smart watches.
References: Apple Watch Products