We compared Garmin Edge 530 vs 830 and would like to share the key differences between them. Indeed, they look the same as well as their performance. So that you might be wondering what is the key differences between them. Frankly, there are a few things that come with the Edge 830 but not with the Edge 530, and these add up to the price of the Edge 830, which we think isn’t worth it.
Here is the table we have put together to help you better understand the Garmin Edge 530 vs 830 comparison:
|Comparison of#||Edge 530||Edge 830|
|Deals & Discounts||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
|On-device course creator||No||Yes|
|Size||2.6″ Diagonal||2.6″ Diagonal|
|Resolution||246 x 322 pixels||246 x 322 pixels|
|Battery-life||up to 20-hours||up to 20-hours|
|Navigation Routes||100 courses||100 courses|
|History||Up to 200-hours||Up to 200-hours|
|Sensors||GPS, Glonass, Galileo|
Ambient light sensor
|GPS, Glonass, Galileo|
Ambient light sensor
|Connectivity||Bluetooth, ANT+, Wi-Fi||Bluetooth, ANT+, Wi-Fi|
|Text response/reject phone call with text (Android™ only)||Yes||Yes|
|Smartphone compatibility||iPhone and Android||iPhone and Android|
|Downloadable training plans||Yes||Yes|
|VO2 Max (Run)||Yes||Yes|
|Training Load and Status||Yes||Yes|
Similar Article: Garmin Edge 830 vs 1040 (& Solar) GPS Bike Computers Compared
Key differences between Garmin Edge 530 and 830
Here is the list of main differences between Garmin Edge 530 and 830:
- The Garmin Edge 530 has 7-buttons to navigate through its menu, on the other hand the Edge 830 has only 3-buttons in addition to its touch screen. The Edge 530 lacks touch screen which is one of the reasons that makes it more affordable compared to the Edge 830.
- The second notable difference between the Edge 530 and the Edge 830 is about the navigation. With the Edge 830, you can create your own routes by typing any address on the device itself. However, it is not possible to create route on the 530, you need to upload it in advance to navigate to the routes.
- Because of these two key differences, you will see that the Garmin Edge 830 is more expensive than the Edge 530 about $100.
The rest of the functionality, features, design, size, and accuracy is the same for both Garmin Edge 530 and the Edge 830.
The Similarities between the 530 and 830
Both Edge 530 and Edge 830 are very similar considering their design, functionality, features and sensors. Here is the list of the things that are in common between the Edge 530 and the Edge 830:
- Both devices have bike alarm that alerts, if your bike or the device move. Also, if you have Garmin Connect in your smartphone, it also shows a notification.
- They have the same sensors such as: GPS, Glonass, Galileo, Barometric Altimeter, Magnetometer, Accelerometer and Ambient light sensors.
- For both devices battery-life is up to 20-hours. They have also data recording memory up to 200-hours.
- You can add maps to both devices
- Device sizes and resolution is the same. Their size is 2.6 inches in diagonal, and the screen resolution of their color display is 246 x 322 pixels.
- For only Android devices, you can text response/reject phone call with text. But, both of them are compatible with iPhone and Android smartphones.
- These two bike computers have LiveTrack and Incident detection features which are also included in the Garmin watches such as Forerunner 955 and Fenix 7 (you can check out our “Garmin Outdoor watch Fenix 7 is compared with the running watch Forerunner 955”). If you have your phone with you and connected to the Edge 530 or the Edge 830, your family members can follow your workout in real time via LiveTrack. Also, with the help of Incident Detection feature in the Edge 530 and Edge 830, if there is an anormal activity in your health status, it can send a message to your emergency contacts via your smartphone (must be connected to watch).
Bottom-line for Garmin Edge 530 vs 830 comparison
Our verdict for Garmin Edge 530 vs 830 comparison:
Both Edge 530 and 830 are darn good bike computer which work very accurate and we found them very functional. However, the Edge 830 is more expensive than the Edge 530.
So, which one is worth it, the Edge 530 or the Edge 830? Here is our selection guide in this comparison:
- If you like to change your course while cycling, you might find the Edge 830 more useful since it has on-device course creator. Also, the Edge 830 has touch screen (in addition to its 3-buttons) which you might find more comfortable considering the navigation in its menu in comparison to the 7-buttons of the Edge 530.
- However, we do prefer Garmin Edge 530 over the Edge 830. Because, the additional stuffs that comes with only the Edge 830 are not convincing enough and is not worth paying $100 more compared to the Edge 530.
Garmin Edge 530 support and how to use video:
Introduction to Garmin Edge 530 and its user manual: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge530/EN-US/Edge_530_OM_EN-US.pdf
Garmin Edge 830 support and how to use video:
Introduction to Garmin Edge 830 and its user manual: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge830/EN-US/Edge_830_OM_EN-US.pdf
Also, Garmin and Coros produces great smartwatches that can be used instead of cycling computers. You can check out following articles to learn more about them: