Today, we are comparing Garmin Tactix 7 vs Fenix 7 and list the key differences between them. These watches are the high-end smartwatches of Garmin and it could be compelling for you to find out which one is better. Basically, Garmin has classified these watches as: The Tactix 7 is for outdoor recreation and tactical usage, and the Fenix 7 for outdoor and adventure. In addition, the Tactix 7 comes with some aviation features which may not make sense, if you are not a pilot.
However, when you compare their specs considering outdoor features, you will see that there is no big difference between them. Yet, there are a few points that need to be highlighted, and we will focus on them when deciding which is better, Garmin Tactix 7 or Fenix 7.
If you need a short answer, here is the table we have put together to help you better understand the Garmin Tactix 7 vs Fenix 7 comparison:
|Comparison of#||Garmin Tactix 7||Garmin Fenix 7|
|Our Selection for||Best Tactical Smart Watch||Best All-Around and Outdoor Smart Watch|
|Latest Price Tag||Rates on Amazon|
|Rates on Amazon|
Fenix 7X Solar
Fenix 7X Solar Sapphire
|Bezel Material||Titanium||Stainless steel (Fenix 7 Standard)|
Stainless steel (Fenix 7 Solar)
Titanium (Fenix 7 Solar Sapphire)
|Lens Material||Sapphire||Corning® Gorilla® Glass DX (Fenix 7)|
Power Glass™ (Fenix 7 Solar)
Sapphire Solar (Fenix 7 Solar Sapphire)
|QuickFit™ watch band compatible||26-mm||20-mm for Case Size 42 (Fenix 7S)|
22-mm for Case Size 47 (Fenix 7)
26-mm for Case Size 51 (Fenix 7X)
|Available Physical size||51 x 51 x 14.9 (mm)||42 x 42 x 14.1 mm (Fenix 7S)|
47 x 47 x 14.5 mm (Fenix 7)
51 x 51 x 14.9 mm (Fenix 7X)
|Display resolution||280 x 280 pixels||240 x 240 pixels (42-mm diameter, Fenix 7S)|
260 x 260 pixels (47-mm diameter, Fenix 7)
280 x 280 pixels (51-mm diameter, Fenix 7X)
|Battery life||Smartwatch: Up to 28 days|
Battery Saver Watch Mode: Up to 90 days
GPS Only: Up to 89 hours
All Satellite Systems: Up to 63 hours
All Satellite Systems + Music: Up to 16 hours
Max Battery GPS: Up to 213 hours
Expedition GPS: Up to 62 days
|For Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar:|
Smartwatch: Up to 28 days/37 days with solar*
Battery Saver Watch Mode: Up to 90 days/1+ year with solar*
GPS Only: Up to 89 hours/122 hours with solar**
All Satellite Systems: Up to 63 hours/77 hours with solar*
All Satellite Systems and Multi-band: Up to 36 hours/41 hours with solar**
All Satellite Systems and Music: Up to 16 hours
Max Battery GPS: Up to 213 hours/578 hours with solar**
Expedition GPS: Up to 62 days/ 139 days with solar*
*Solar charging, assuming all-day wear with 3 hours per day outside in 50,000 lux conditions
**Solar charging, assuming use in 50,000 lux conditions
|Led Flashlight||Yes (White & Green)||Yes (Only for 7X)|
|Water Resistance||10 ATM||10 ATM|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth®, ANT+®, Wi-Fi®||Bluetooth®, ANT+®, Wi-Fi®|
|Smartphone Music Control||Yes||Yes|
|Music storage||Up to 2000 Songs||Up to 2000 Songs|
|Memory||32 GB||Standard and Solar 16 GB, Sapphire Solar 32 GB|
|Highlighted Sensors & Features||Multi-Frequency Positioning|
Heart Rate Monitor
GPS & GLONASS & GALILEO
Pulse Ox Blood Oxygen
Preloaded Topographical Maps
|Multi-Frequency Positioning (Only on Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar)|
Heart Rate Monitor
GPS & GLONASS & GALILEO
Pulse Ox Blood Oxygen
Preloaded Topographical Maps (Only on Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar)
SatIQ™ Technology (Not in Fenix 7 Solar)
|LiveTrack & Incident Detection||Yes||Yes|
|Training Load & Status||Yes||Yes|
Bread crumb trail in real time
Back to start
|Grade Adjusted Pace||Yes||No|
Night Vision Mode
|Dual Grid Coordinates (Tactical Features)||Yes||Yes|
Worldwide Airport Database
Worldwide Navaids and Intersection Database
Time Zones UTC/Zulu
Nexrad Moving Map
In-flight Pulse Ox
Frankly, we found the Fenix 7 more preferable and affordable in comparison to the Tactix 7, since it has multiple options which you can pick based on your what you need. Yet, the Tactix 7 is an all-in-one high-end smart watch. It has many features which you may not need at all.
As you know, both Tactix 7 and Fenix 7 are far from cheap. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to read further to make a clear decision on which one is worth buying.
Similar Article: Comparing all Garmin Fenix 7 variants with each other
Key Differences Between Garmin Tactix 7 and Fenix 7
If you want a head-to-head comparison with the Tactix 7, the most comparable version of the Fenix 7 is the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar. Other Fenix 7 editions offer less than the Garmin Tactix 7, but they are more affordable as well.
Anyway, here is the short summary of the key differences between Garmin Tactix 7 and Fenix 7:
- First thing first, the Fenix 7 is way more affordable than the Tactix 7. The most expensive model of Fenix, the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar which is almost $100 cheaper than the Tactix 7. However, the features are almost the same or very close to the ones that Tactix 7 offers.
- Based on which model you pick; the price goes down with the Fenix 7 and it becomes more affordable in comparison to the Tactix 7.
- The Tactix 7 has aviation features, which are not included in the Fenix 7. If you are a pilot, it makes sense to go with the Tactix 7, since it cost less than the other aviation watches of Garmin.
- Considering the tactical features, the Tactix 7 has kill switch, stealth mode, and night vision mode which is not included in the Fenix 7 line.
- It is good to note that the resolution, glass material also varies on the Fenix 7 based on which variant or case option you choose. However, with the Tactix 7, you will get the all the best.
- There are a few features and sensors included in Tactix 7 by default, but you’ll need to get a higher version of Fenix 7 to get them. These are; Multi-Frequency Positioning (very useful and accurate positioning), Preloaded Topographical Maps, and SatIQ™ Technology (will be discussed later on).
- The Tactix 7 has 32 GB memory, on the other hand, the Fenix 7 has 16 GB (standard & solar) and 32 GB (sapphire solar) options.
- Another outdoor and tactical feature only available on the Tactix 7 are the Led Flashlights (white and green). You can either use them to let people see you via these flashing lights from far distance in the dark night (for emergency or communication purposes), or simply use it to lighten your close surroundings.
- The standard Tactix 7 does not have solar option for extended battery-life. So that, the solar variants of Fenix 7 offer more battery-life. Indeed, there is Tactix Delta Solar Edition, but it is too expensive compared to the Fenix 7 Solar variants.
- One more feature that the Tactix 7 has but the Fenix 7 does not is the Grade Adjusted Pace. Imagine you are running uphill. So, you will spend more effort than running on a flat land. Basically, this Grade Adjusted Tempo measures the steepness of the terrain you’re running and converts your uphill pace to its equivalent on flat terrain.
Similar Article: Garmin Enduro 2 vs Fenix 7 compared
Which one is better Garmin Tactix 7 or Fenix 7?
There are some certain situations that you might want to go with the Garmin Tactix 7 instead of Fenix 7. In overall, we found Garmin Fenix 7 is more preferable compared to the Tactix 7 since the Fenix 7 is more customizable and affordable.
We will talk about them one by one. Here are the things that one does better than the other:
For Outdoor Activities
Considering the outdoor activities, Both Tactix 7 and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar offer the same except the solar panels. They both have scratch resistant Sapphire Crystal on their glass. But, the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar model offers slightly longer battery-life in comparison to the Tactix 7.
Tactical Features for Tactix 7 vs Fenix 7
Led Flashlights, night vision mode, kill switch and stealth mode make the Tactix 7 a good tactical smart watch. These features lack in the Fenix 7 family.
On the other hand, dual grid coordinates feature is available in both watches.
Considering running, the Grade Adjusted Pace feature comes with only Tactix 7 but not with the Fenix 7. Honestly, it does not make Tactix 7 a better running watch than the Fenix 7.
The question is, do you really need it? If your answer is no, you will save a lot with the Fenix 7.
Apart from that, if you need a running watch, we would recommend the Garmin Forerunner 955 instead of Tactix 7 or Fenix 7. Because considering the running features, it is a complete watch. Most importantly, you will save tons of money with the 955 in comparison to the both Tactix 7 and Fenix 7. Here is the articles about the Forerunner 955 that we prepared to help you:
Aviation Features & Usage
Speaking of aviation related smart watch features, the Tactix 7 is more budged in comparison to the other Garmin aviation watches. But again, unless you are a pilot, these features are unnecessary and we would recommend going with the Fenix 7 instead of Tactix 7.
Let’s take a quick look at the aviation features of the Tactix 7:
- The universal time zone (UTC)
- Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI)
- NextRad moving map
- In-flight pulse ox
- World Wide Airport Data base and Navaids and Intersection data base
- Meteorological Terminal Air Report (METAR) and TAF (Terminal Area Forecast)
About the Navigation and Navigation Features
When we compare the Tactix 7 and Fenix 7X in terms of navigation performance and features, they are the same except SatIQ that comes with the Tactix 7 by default but for Fenix 7 it is optional.
SatIQ determines which GPS mode to use based on your environment. For example, if you are in an open area, GPS accuracy will be higher. So, you will get high accuracy and save power with a single-band GNSS mode. However, if you are in a location where the accuracy of a single GNSS source will be less (in the middle of a dense forest or near tall buildings), SatIQ will switch to Multiband GNSS.
Considering the GPS accuracy, preloaded topo maps, point to point navigation, multi-frequency positioning, they are the same watch. Again, considering the preloaded topo maps and multi-frequency positioning, they are optional in the Fenix 7 line (only available in Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar).
Bottom-line for Garmin Tactix 7 vs Fenix 7
Our verdict for Garmin Tactix 7 vs Fenix 7 is that:
- If you are looking for a versatile and more affordable multipurpose outdoor & adventure watch, we would recommend the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar instead of the Tactix 7. Because, there is no such a big difference between the Garmin Tactix 7 and the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar. Yet, the price of the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is more reasonable. Also, the Fenix 7 offers different variants and can be assumed customizable. For instance, if you choose one of the lower models of Fenix 7, you will compromise on some features. But if you don’t really need these features, you will make a great choice with Fenix 7 in terms of price-performance.
- If you say, you need a reasonable aviation or tactical smart watch then we will recommend the Garmin Tactix 7.
Honestly, we do prefer our Garmin Fenix 7X over the Tactix 7.
Introduction to Garmin Tactix 7 and its user manual: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-AC520B63-3C82-4266-90F6-6E9F22D5F76E/EN-US/tactix_7_OM_EN-US.pdf
Garmin Tactix 7 support and how to use video:
Introduction to Garmin Fenix 7 and its user manual: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-C001C335-A8EC-4A41-AB0E-BAC434259F92/EN-US/fenix_7_Series_OM_EN-US.pdf
Garmin Fenix 7 support and how to use video: