We had them both and would like to share our thoughts in Brooks Revel vs Ghost post. Based on the categorization of Brooks Running Shoes, the Brooks Revel is a energized trainer which has been designed to offer energy return (springy) in each step, whereas, the Ghost is a cushioned trainer which is soft and protective. Both running shoes are highly versatile and very suitable for daily runs, gym workouts, crossfit day and on the treadmill. However, there are some distinguishing factors needs to be highlighted. We will be touching on the differences between Brooks Revel 5 and Ghost 14 and compare them side by side. Before going any further, the winner of Brooks Revel 5 vs Ghost 14 is the Ghost!
Here is the table, we have put together to help you better understand their design intents:
|Review of #||Brooks Revel 5||Brooks Ghost 14|
|Our Selection for||Best Budged Springy Trainer||Best for Average Runner|
|Feel||Energize 1/3 & Balanced Cushioning (2/3)||Balanced Cushioning (2/3)|
|Flexibility||Flexible (4/5)||Flexible (4/5)|
|Camparest Expert Review||In-depth Review||In-depth Review|
|Deals & Discounts||Rates Men’s / Women’s||Rates Men’s / Women’s|
For choosing an activity-specific (running experience type) running shoe, check out our Best Brooks Running Shoes guide.
Our Highlights for Brooks Revel 5 vs Ghost 14:
Based on our test runs, the winner of Brooks Revel vs Ghost comparison is the Brooks Ghost and here is why:
- The main difference between the Brooks Ghost 14 and the Revel 5 is the material of midsole. The Revel 5 uses BioMoGo which is soft enough, but responsive and it creates springy feel. However, it is not as soft as DNA LOFT which Ghost has in its midsole. Frankly, the DNA LOFT offers cloudlike feel which is extremely soft. Because of this, the Ghost 14 lacks behind considering the responsiveness, but it is way better considering the softness and comfort.
- The Ghost is smoother in its gait and it also offers softer landing compared to the Brooks Revel.
- The Revel 5 has more ground feel compared to the Ghost 14.
- The Revel 5 is more nimble than the Ghost 14. We liked the peppy toe-off Revel more than the Ghost.
- The Ghost 14 has more arch support; it can last longer as well.
- Revel 5 is springy and better for short distance whereas Ghost 14 is a great choice for slow paced long distance runs.
- Ghost is more protective and cushy compared to the Revel.
- One point goes to Brooks Revel 5. The Revel 5 has a heel loop and a gusseted tongue whereas, Ghost 14 lacks them both.
- 3D Fit Print Upper of Brooks Ghost works better than the Fit Knit Upper of Brooks Revel in terms of breathability. We are not saying Revel 5 fails on this. But, Ghost 14 does better. We did not experience any clamminess during summer run with the Ghost.
Although, the Revel 5 is more budged; we would recommend the Brooks Ghost 14, since it has all the right proportions in it. We do not state that Revel 5 is worthless. The Revel 5 is a good running shoe as well and it is also springy, but except for the responsiveness that Revel 5 will offer, the Ghost 14 covers rest of the items. Plus, we liked the cushioning and the comfort that Ghost 14 offers a lot. Also, Ghost 14 works way better than the Revel 5 considering long distance runs.
Short Review for Brooks Revel 5
The Revel 5 is a springy neutral running shoe in the Brooks family. It has been designed to provide energy return and propel you forward, but somehow it turns out to be a do-it-all running shoe.
The Brooks Revel 5 running shoe can do a bit of everything and a perfect pair for a beginner level runner.
|What we liked the most on Brooks Revel 5|
|Versatility / Do-it-all-trainer||✔|
|Low Price Tag||✔|
|Balanced Cushioning & Comfortable||✔|
|Gusseted Tongue – Great Lockdown||✔|
|Peppy Toe off||✔|
|What we don’t like on Brooks Revel 5|
|Lacks Reflective Elements||✗|
|Fit a Bit Loose on Narrow Feet||✗|
|Not so Fast||✗|
Related Article: Brooks Revel 5 Review
Short Review for Brook Ghost 14
The Brooks Ghost 14 is a maximalist daily trainer which provides great comfort and modest flexibility. It is a neutral runner and very suitable for slow-paced long runs. Frankly, this pair is the one that we recommend everybody as it has the all right proportions.
|What we liked the most on Ghost 14|
|Nice fitting of upper material||✔|
|Good balance of responsiveness and cushioning||✔|
|Good grip on dry and wet surfaces||✔|
|Smooth transitions of heel to toe||✔|
|Wide toe box – roomy for natural toe splay||✔|
|What we don’t like on Ghost 14|
|Some improvements on Stability and Support, yet still less than others||✗|
|Heavier than the average weight of the running shoes we tested||✗|
Related Article: Brooks Ghost 14 Review
Bottom-line for Brooks Revel 5 vs Ghost 14 Comparison
Our verdict for Brooks Revel 5 vs Ghost 14 comparison; Although both of them are highly versatile we would recommend Ghost 14 over Revel 5.
The Ghost 14 is more cushy and protective. It is a great choice for long distance recovery runs where Revel 5 fails on it.
Here is the links that you can check the latest rates for Brooks Ghost 14 and Brooks Revel 5:
We would recommend checking out our “Best Running Shoes for Men & Women” article to get a clear picture of the other great running shoes.