We made the Garmin Forerunner 245 vs 255 comparison and would like to share the key differences between them. First off, they may look pretty much similar. Yet, Garmin Forerunner 255 came up with major changes that we liked a lot. The main difference between Forerunner 245 and 255 is some features which are included in Forerunner 245 but not in the 245: Larger display screen, more resolution, great battery life, 4 GB memory, and some additional sensors and features.
So, you might wonder that is Forerunner 255 worth buying or you should go and find Forerunner 245 on Sale.
Honestly, we would definetly recommend the Forerunner 255 over Forerunner 245. If you are not budged restricted, you should definetly go with the Forerunner 255. The upgrades on the 255 were essential, or let’s say very convincing to pick the Forerunner 255 over the 245. Here is why, you check out the table below to fully understand what makes Forerunner 255 way better than the 245:
|Comparison of#||Forerunner 245||Forerunner 255|
|Latest Price Tag||Rates on Amazon||Rates on Amazon |
41 mm / 46 mm
|Lens Material||Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3||Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3|
|QuickFit™ watch band compatible||yes (20 mm, Industry standard)||yes (46-mm Size: 22-mm & 41 mm- Size: 18-mm)|
|Physical size||42.3 x 42.3 x 12.2 (mm) Fits wrists with a circumference of 127-204 mm||45.6 x 45.6 x 12.9 (mm) Fits wrists with a circumference of 130-205 mm|
41 x 41 x 12.4 (mm)
|Display resolution||240 x 240 pixels||260 x 260 pixels|
218 x 218 pixels
|Battery life||Smartwatch Mode: Up to 7 days|
GPS mode: Up to 24 hours
|Smartwatch Mode: Up to 14 days|
GPS mode: Up to 30 hours
|Water Resistance||5 ATM||5 ATM|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth®, ANT+®||Bluetooth®, ANT+®|
|Music storage||Yes, for only Forerunner 245 Music||Yes, for only Forerunner 255 Music|
|Memory||Up to 200 hours of activity||4 GB|
Heart Rate Monitor
Pulse Ox Blood Oxygen Saturation
Heart Rate Monitor
Pulse Ox Blood Oxygen Saturation
|All Activity Tracking Features||Same||Same|
If we were looking for a solid reason to choose the 245 version, it would just be the price point. From the price point, Garmin Forerunner 255 with case size option 41-mm may seem reasonable. But, it has less battery life and smaller screen size.
Also, it is good to note that both Forerunner 245 and 255 have music option (version). You can check the following links to find them on sale and different color options:
Here is the list of our related articles that you may want to read about Garmin Smart Watches:
The Common Points / Similarities Between Forerunner 245 and 255
Both Forerunner 245 and 255 are entry-level smart watches which are developed for tracking running. There are many common points between considering the fitness features such as checking heart rate, step count, VO2 max and sleep.
One more point, both smart watches have Live-Track which helps your family or friends to follow you while you are running. You can assume this like a safety feature. Also, you have connection with your smart phone via Forerunner 245 and 255. You can check the calendar reminders, calls, text messages and other notifications.
Here is the list of features which Forerunner 255 and Forerunner 245 have in common:
- In case of an emergency situation, Forerunner 245 and 255 alert the emergency contacts of yours and provides the location of incident (Incident Detection), if you are connected to your smart phone.
- They can also show your stress level throughout the day (Stress Monitoring).
- Both can provide the amount of energy you left via its Body Battery feature.
- If you are connected to Bluetooth headphones, the Forerunner 245 Music and Forerunner 255 Music can download and play music from your via Spotify and Deezer.
- They can check your Training Status and Training Load to inform you how productive you are.
- The Forerunner 245 and 255 feature Ultra-Trac mode which turns of GPS to save battery. We usually use this function for ultra-marathons. But you should expect less accuracy of your location, if you turn on this mode.
- To track your swim efficiency, they have features to measure distance, strokes and pace while swimming. The Forerunner 245 and 255 also can measure your heart rate underwater.
- The Pulse Ox feature of Forerunner 245/255 shows your blood oxygen saturation (especially at the high altitudes). This feature is not a deal breaker, unless you are a mountaineer or somebody that does a ton of exploring or like serious hiking.
- They can show you the rep count during your strength training.
- Finally, you can set a point-to-point navigation to track your route on your watch.
Garmin Forerunner 245 vs 255: Key Differences:
There are lots of extra-features that comes with Forerunner 255 and makes the Forerunner 255 a better running watch than Forerunner 245. Here is the full list of key differences between Forerunner 245 and Forerunner 255:
- The biggest difference between these two model is the case size options. The Forerunner 245 comes with a single case size option which measures 42 mm. On the other hand, the Forerunner 255 has 41-mm and 46-mm case size options. If you prefer the 41-mm case size of Forerunner 255, you will have less screen resolution and battery-life and therefore we definetly would recommend the 245 in such a case. Because, most of the great updates are included in the Forerunner 255 within the case size option 46-mm. We will continue to list the key differences between the 46-mm Forerunner 255 and the Forerunner 245.
- You may expect from a smart watch to have barometric altimeter to check the stairs you climbed daily. However, Forerunner 245 does not have the barometric altimeter. Instead, it checkes the elevation based on GPS only. Therefore, it is less accurate compared to the smart watches which have barometric altimeter such as Forerunner 255.
- Forerunner 255 has a larger screen size. Its resolution is 260 x 260 pixels. On the other hand, the Forerunner 245 has a screen resolution of 240 x 240 pixels.
- Total memory of Forerunner 255 is 4 GB which is huge since the 255 series is an entry-level running watch of Garmin. The previous version, the 245 had a memory of 200 hours of activity recording.
- When it comes to battery-life, the Forerunner 255 is way better than the Forerunner 245. The battery of Forerunner 255 can last up to 14 days on smartwatch mode and on the GPS mode it can last up to 30 hours. Yet, the Forerunner has a battery life of 7 days on smartwatch mode and 30 hours on GPS mode. Considering the battery-life, the winner is the Forerunner 255 by far.
- About the sensors, the Forerunner 255 has additional sensors compared to the Forerunner 245. Those are Multi-Frequency Position, Barometric Altimeter, and Gyroscope which are all nice to have. Yet, Forerunner 245 lacks these sensors and features.
Bottom-line for the Garmin Forerunner 245 vs 255 Comparison
Our verdict for Garmin Forerunner 245 vs 255 is to go with Forerunner 255. If you are budged restricted you may consider the 41-mm case size option of Forerunner 255 or the Forerunner 245. For the music play, Garmin Forerunner 255 Music is a good option, but it adds extra $100 on the standard model. When we made a side by side comparison, we found the updates & upgrades on the Foreruner 255 are essential.
Here is the links that you can check the latest prices and discounts on both Forerunner 245 and 255:
If you already pick your running watch and looking for running shoes, we have prepared some articles which will help you to make an easy decision for Running Shoes Selection:
- Compare Brooks vs Asics – Complete List
- Best Brooks Running Shoes – Activity Specific
- Best Running Shoes for Men & Women – Selection Guide
Garmin Forerunner 255 support and how to use video:
Introduction to Garmin Forerunner 255 and its user manual: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-676967A0-1B23-4384-9BC9-76F3D643F1C8/EN-US/Forerunner_255_OM_EN-US.pdf
FAQ for the Garmin Forerunner 255 Review:
Can you Answer call on Garmin Forerunner 255?
The Forerunner 255 supports answering or rejecting a call or seeing a text message that is received by your smart phone. So, it is possible to answer call on Garmin Forerunner 255.
Can I wear my Garmin Forerunner 255 in the shower?
The Forerunner 255 is water resistant up to 5 ATM (50 Meters), and therefore there is no problem with using it in the shower.