We made the Garmin Forerunner 235 vs 245 comparison and would like to share the differences between them. First off, they are pretty much similar considering the fitness and activity tracking features. The main difference between Forerunner 235 and 245 is some features which are included in Forerunner 245 but not in the 235: Incident Detection, Ultra-Trac Mode, Stress Monitoring, and Pulse-Ox Blood Oxygen Saturation Level. So, is Forerunner 235 worth buying or you should go and find Forerunner 235 on Sale!
If you are looking for a short answer, we definitely recommend Forerunner 235 over Forerunner 245. The upgrades on the 245 are not essential, or let’s say not convincing to pick the Forerunner 245 over the 235.
If we were looking for a solid reason to choose the 245 version, it would just be the music streaming of the Forerunner 245 Music version, but it also adds almost $100 on the standard version. As a result, we recommend finding the Forerunner 235 on sale; if you cannot find it then Forerunner 245 is good to go.
You can check the following links to find them on sale and color options:
Here is the list of our related articles that you may want to read about Garmin Smart Watches:
The Common Points / Similarities Between Forerunner 235 and 245
Both Forerunner 235 and 245 are entry-level smart watches which are developed for tracking running. There are many common points between considering the fitness features such as checking heart rate, step count, VO2 max and sleep.
You may expect from a smart watch to have barometric altimeter to check the stairs you climbed daily. However, both Forerunner 235 and 245 do not have the barometric altimeter. Instead, they check the elevation based on GPS only. Therefore, it is less accurate compared to the smart watches which have barometric altimeter.
One more point, both smart watches have Live-Track which helps your family or friends to follow you while you are running. You can assume this like a safety feature. Also, you have connection with your smart phone via Forerunner 235 and 245. You can check the calendar reminders, calls, text messages and other notifications.
Garmin Forerunner 235 vs 245: Key Differences:
It looks like the key differences between both this watches are mostly cosmetic. Because, the extra-features that comes with Forerunner 245 are not must for a running smart watch.
The Forerunner 245 is more good looking and comfortable to wear. The Heart rate monitor of the Forerunner 245 does not stick into your wrist. However, on the Forerunner 235, this feature is placed to excess its back platform and therefore it sticks to your wrist.
Looking at the Battery Life, on the activity mode, the Forerunner 245 has a better battery-life while GPS on. On the other hand, the battery of Forerunner 235 lasts longer than Forerunner 245 when smart watch mode is on. Here is the table to compare the Battery Life of Forerunner 235 vs 245:
|Battery Life Expectation||Forerunner 235||Forerunner 245|
|On Smart Watch Mode||Up to 9 days with activity tracking, smartphone notifications, and wrist-based heart rate||Up to 7 days with activity tracking, smartphone notifications, and wrist-based heart rate|
|On Activity mode||With wrist based heart rate, Up to 11 hr. in GPS mode With wrist based heart rate, Up to 9 hr. in GPS + GLONASS mode||Up to 24 hr. with GPS and wrist-based heart rate|
Here is the list of features which Forerunner 245 has but Forerunner 235 does not have:
- In case of an emergency situation, Forerunner 245 alerts the emergency contacts of yours and provides the location of incident (Incident Detection), if you are connected to your smart phone.
- It can also show your stress level throughout the day (Stress Monitoring).
- It provides the amount of energy you left via its Body Battery feature.
- If you are connected to Bluetooth headphones, the Music version of Forerunner 245 can download and play music from your via Spotify and Deezer.
- It can check your Training Status and Training Load to inform you how productive you are.
- The Forerunner 245 features Ultra-Trac mode which turns of GPS to save battery. We usually use this function for ultra-marathons. But you should expect less accuracy of your location, if you turn on this mode.
- To track your swim efficiency, it has features to measure distance, strokes and pace while swimming. The Forerunner 245 also can measure your heart rate underwater.
- The Pulse Ox feature of Forerunner 245 shows your blood oxygen saturation (especially at the high altitudes). This feature is not a deal breaker, unless you are a mountaineer or somebody that does a ton of exploring or like serious hiking.
- It can show you the rep count during your strength training.
- Finally, you can set a point-to-point navigation to track your route on your watch.
Bottom-line for the Garmin Forerunner 235 vs 245 Comparison
Our verdict for Garmin Forerunner 235 vs 245 is to go with Forerunner 235, if you can find it on Sale. For the music play, Garmin Forerunner 245 Music is a good option, but it adds extra $100 on the standard model. When we made a side by side comparison, we found the updates & upgrades on the Foreruner 245 are mostly cosmetic such as screen, button and chargin method.
We will recommend Forerunner 245 to you on one condition. And that is if you can’t find the Forerunner 235 on Sale. Here is the links that you can check the latest prices and discounts on both Forerunner 235 and 245:
If you already pick your running watch and looking for running shoes, we have prepared some articles which will help you to make an easy decision for Running Shoes Selection:
- Compare Brooks vs Asics – Complete List
- Best Brooks Running Shoes – Activity Specific
- Best Running Shoes for Men & Women – Selection Guide
FAQ for the Garmin Forerunner 245 Review:
Can you Answer call on Garmin Forerunner 245?
The Forerunner 245 supports answering or rejecting a call or seeing a text message that is received by your smart phone. So, it is possible to answer call on Garmin Forerunner 245.
Can I wear my Garmin Forerunner 245 in the shower?
The Forerunner 245 is water resistant up to 5 ATM (50 Meters), and therefore there is no problem with using it in the shower.