Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Review: The Asics Gel Nimbus 23 is the top notch comfort shoe in the Asics Family. It is a neutral running shoe which is highly cushioned and comfortable at any points. The Asics updated the arch area, and filled that area with more support. If you have high arches (supinate), you should definitely consider Asics Gel Nimbus 23. It is a plush and long lasting running shoe and very suitable for the long runs.
Our expert review & overall score for Asics Gel Nimbus 23:
|Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Pros||Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Cons|
|Gender Specific Design||Bulky: It is heavy and clunky. The Gel in the heel adds extra weight (but increases the shock absorption)|
|Cushion: Gel Nimbus 23 is very comfortable, due to Gel & FlyteFoam.|
|Ride: Excellent smooth ride.|
|Upper comfort: Very soft upper, locks the foot securely. Perfect fit.|
|Wide Toe Box for Natural Toe Splay|
|Traction: AHAR outsole works very well. We did not encounter any slippage. Good choice for wet and dry surfaces|
|Great Durability – long lasting Shoe|
You can check out following links to see the Latest Rates and Available color options for Asics Gel Nimbus. If you purchase through these links, it will not cost you any extra!
Related Article: Best Running Shoes of the Year
A Quick Review of Gel Nimbus 23
Long story short, here is the complete list which summarizes the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Review:
|Summary Table for Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Review|
|Gender Specific Design|
|Wide Forefoot for Toe Splay|
|Heel to toe Drop: 10 mm – Men’s, 13 mm – Women’s|
|Heel to Toe Stack Heights: 25 mm – 15 mm Men’s, 27 mm – 14 mm Women’s|
|Weight: 309 gr/ 10.9 oz – Men’s, 261 gr / 9.2 oz – Women’s|
|A bit Pricey|
|True to Size|
Before go in details of Asics Gel Nimbus 23, we have two recommendations:
- The First, from the comfort stand point, the Gel Nimbus is unbiased in the Asics Family. However, if you need a stability shoe, the Gel Nimbus lags behind the Gel Kayano model of Asics. The Gel Kayano is the top notch stability shoe in the market. Here is the link of our Asics Gel Nimbus vs Kayano comparison.
- The Second, due to the high cushioning, the Gel Nimbus lacks responsiveness. We recommend the Gel Cumulus, for the ones who seek more responsive neutral running shoe (our Asics Gel Cumulus Review). It is not as comfortable and cushioned as the Gel Nimbus; however, its more affordable price makes it worth checking. Here is the link of our Asics Gel Cumulus vs Nimbus review.
- The corresponding product in Brooks Running Shoes family is the Glycerin. Here is the link of our Asics Gel Nimbus vs Brooks Glycerin review. Also, you might wondering the key differences between Brooks and Asics companies and their products. Here is the article that compares Brooks vs Asics in all aspects!
The Gel Nimbus has tons of impact absorption underfoot. It is a neutral shoe, but feels like a Kayano due to plastic medial post. It has a nice arch support. So, if you have high arches (supinate), you should definitely consider Asics Nimbus 23. The Gel Nimbus 23 is very comfortable at any points. The heel counter of Nimbus has medium stiffness, but it is not the most robust amongst the Asics Shoes.
The midsole of the Gel Nimbus 23 is made of FlyteFoam material of Asics. The cushioning of the FlyteFoam meterial is so nice. Based on the Asics’s statement it is lighter but more comfortable and plush than the average of the trainers in the market. In our opinion, this material is so far so good.
There are additional two gel units: One under the heel, one under the forefoot. The Gel units add extra cushioning and works very well on the shock absorption. It makes the shoe so bouncy, we liked it. The Women’s Gel Nimbus 23 has additional 3 mm drop which adds extra cushioning. The stack heights are not the same for Men’s and Women’s editions. Heel to forefoot stack heights for Men, 25 mm to 15 mm; for Women, 27 mm to 14 mm.
As a matter of fact, the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 is a bit heavy since more cushioning & plush feeling comes with a weight penalty. The Men’s Gel Nimbus is 309 gr / 10.9 oz, and the Women’s Gel Nimbus is 261 gr / 9.2 oz.
The Gel Nimbus 23 has a gender specific design. This is done by the Asics since the gait pattern and the foot shape of Women and Men are not the same. Therefore, the amount of drop, the stack heights, and weights differ for Men’s and Women’s version, which is good, we appreciated it. The Women’s Gel Nimbus 23 has additional 3 mm of more cushioning.
We would like to share the full list of the technologies being implemented on the Asics Gel Nimbus 23, with their descriptions as follows:
Review of Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Technology
The full list of the technologies being implemented on the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 are as follows:
- GEL™: It is the technology to improve both cushioning & the shock absorption on the heel.
- TRUSSTIC™: It is Asics’s technology which improves stability
- FLYTEFOAM™ Propel: Asics’s technology which enhances the responsiveness of the shoe by changing the density of the foam on the forefoot. Also, the FLYTEFOAM™ is very light and plush material, which works very well on shock abortion. It is placed in both the forefoot and rearfoot.
- ASICS LITE Rubber: It is the outsole material which improves durability
- AHAR®: It is an outsole material and Acronym for ASICS High Abrasion Rubber. This material is placed in critical areas of the outsole for exceptional durability.
- ORTHOLITE™ X-55 sockliner: It has been implemented in the Gel Nimbus to improve step-in comfort
- 3D SPACE CONSTRUCTION: This feature improves compression at footstrike
Asics Gel Nimbus 23 vs 22: Updates & Key Points
We had a chance to test the Asics Gel Nimbus 22 in the past, therefore, we would like to share our experience, and list the key differences of Asics Gel Nimbus 23 vs 22 comparison.
What are the updates on the New Gel Nimbus? Here is the complete list of updates and key points of Asics Gel Nimbus 23 vs 22 review.
- The Asics filled the arch area of Nimbus 23 and updated the sleeved toque.
- The Nimbus 23 is softer and more cushioning than the 22nd version. It is more comfortable.
- Nimbus 21 needed the stability. Therefore, Asics added Trusstic system on the Gel Nimbus 22. The Trusstic technology remains the same on the Nimbus 23.
- The Gel Nimbus 23 covers the surface better; it is more close to the ground and has almost a full contact with the surface. On the medial side you will see the stability feature, the Trusstic System Insert. On the Gel Nimbus 22, this insert was a bit higher; there was a bigger gap between the shoe and the ground in this area (the insert was into the midsole). On the Gel Nimbus 23, it is plush with the ground.
- The Number of flex grooves are the same and there are five flex grooves on both of them. However, the depth of the flex grooves is not the same in the new version. The Nimbus 22 had a deeper cut on the flex grooves. The outsole of Gel Nimbus 22 was a bit thicker than the rubber of Gel Nimbus 23. So, we thought that, there was no reason to have increased depth of flex grooves for Nimbus 23, since its outsole rubber is thinner. As a matter of fact, it is expected from it to be more flexible since its thinner.
- As it can be seen from the picture, the AHAR rubber of the Nimbus 23 is combined with a carbon rubber (yellow in the picture above). It is harder than the previous version and works very well against the heel strikes.
- About the Midsole & its construction, it is the same except some visual changes on the new Gel Nimbus 23.
- The new Gel Nimbus 23 is shallower than the previous version in the midfoot which is nice. It has more support on the top of the foot, and secures better.
- The upper mesh has the same amount of breathability as the previous version.
Bottom line for Asics Gel Nimbus 23 vs 22: The new Nimbus 23 is smoother and very comfortable. We think that Asics made updates on the right places. These updates do not change the Gel Nimbus Model drastically, but they are enough to keep its reputation; The Asics Gel Nimbus 23 is the Top Notch Comfortable & Premium & Long Lasting neutral running shoe.
Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Size Chart
Men’s Gel Nimbus Size Chart
Size Guide for Men’s Gel Nimbus 23:
Women’s Gel Nimbus Size Chart
Size Guide for Women’s Gel Nimbus 23:
Our Verdict for Gel Nimbus 23 Review
Asics Gel Nimbus 23 Review: It is a perfect neutral running shoe. The Gel Nimbus gives premium feeling with the top comfort. We liked it a lot, it has lots of cushioning, and thoughtful design. Asics consider the gender differences and presents a gender specific design in Gel Nimbus 23. We highly recommend this neutral running shoe for long distance runs.