If you are looking for a great winter jacket, you will be glad to check our Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review. The Thorsen is an excellent parka as it expected from the Arc’teryx. If you need a quick summary, you can check out the table below which will help you understand the design intent, features and performance of Thorsen parka and its competitors.
|Review for||Arc’teryx Thorsen||Arc’teryx Therme||Arc’teryx Camosun||Patagonia Tres 3 in 1||North Face McMurdo Parka|
|Price Tag||Check Rates on Amazon||Check Rates on Amazon||Check Rates on Amazon||Check Rates on REI||Check Rates on Amazon|
|Our Selection For||The Most Popular||The Most Comfortable||Top Notch||The Feature Rich Jacket||Best Budged|
|Weight||2.42 lbs||2.28 lbs||2.12 lbs||2.88 lbs||4.2 lbs|
|Fill Power||750-fill Goose Down||750-fill Goose Down||750-fill Goose Down||700-fill Goose Down||550|
|Number of Pockets||2 Hand Zip|
|2 Hand Pockets|
1 Chest Pocket
|2 Zippered Hand|
|2 zippered hand-warmer|
1 external chest
Inner: 2 hand Zip
1 interior Zip
| 2 chest height|
2 exterior top-entry Velcro flap pockets
1 interior media pocket
2 side-entry waist handwarmers
|In-depth Review||Check it||Arc’teryx Therme Parka Review||Arc’teryx Camosun Parka Review||Patagonia Tres 3 in 1 Review||North Face McMurdo 2 Review|
Long Story Short: Our Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review
Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review: We made an In-depth analysis and came up with the Arc’teryx Thorse Parka Review for your consideration.
First of all, I bought Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka last November just before it started to get a bit cold so I wanted to put it to test before I could give my opinion on it. And now since I have been using it regularly for past few months, I decided to write Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review.
I purchased this jacket as I needed a warm urban parka which looked appropriate enough to wear to the office. The styling is very sleek and elegant, and garners compliments. It is extremely light, which prevents over heating when indoors or sitting in a car. I was never cold in the body or legs when dressed with the appropriate layers for the weather underneath.
For quite a long time i was looking for minimalist , clean looking winter parka but I didn’t find one till I came across this Arc’teryx Therme and Thorsen parkas. Initially i wanted to get the Therme as it looked almost the same and was cheaper but didn’t like the fit on that one so I decided to go with this. This jacket is extremely light for the warmth it provides, although it may not be the warmest parka out there but it gets the job done very well plus its water and wind proof.
I live in Chicago and this jacket gets the job done. But It does rain here a lot as well plus lot of winds, Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka performs very well in in these conditions. However, I did notice that the inside of the sleeves (just at the wrists) does get wet and soggy on the inside (just where the cuff gasket seal starts) if i am wearing in heavy rain especially when I am on a bike. But I guess it’s how goretex on this performs and it does keep me dry nonetheless.
The Gore-tex face fabric is textured twill, and is not noisy. The two main hand pockets are nice and large, and are roomy enough to fit a pair of slim gloves and a beanie. There is no internal dump pocket which would have been nice. The cuffs have a gasket which prevents wind from coming up, and snaps for adjustments which are more elegant then Velcro.
A nice, clean and simple parka. Only one logo on the arm, nothing else. It’s perfect to someone like me who is looking for a high-end parka without the huge, obvious logo. Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka is warm and light. It’s so clean that I can wear in some formal events.
It would be nice with some sort of waist adjustment or cuff at waist level, so hard winds don’t drain your heat, but it is a minor problem, since the length of the parka protects you from most things nature can throw at you.
I needed a coat for the proper Chicago snowstorms and was looking at different brands but none offered this style of coat without a lot of added and unneeded extras. The coat is well fitted and true to size without reducing mobility at the sacrifice of warmth. I’ve even had this on days where the weather wasn’t quite as cold and it’s done a good job at managing heat. Slush, snow, sleet, it’s just worked. Happy with the quality of stitching and lining, and it’s just overall a very comfortable and good looking parka to wear. It also came with the return label so less hassle for me if I need to change it later. I ordered a jacket from Canada Goose just for comparison. I haven’t received it yet. The customer service doesn’t know where the package is.
There is a pocket on the same side as the internal pocket which is accessed between the zipper and the snap flap. At least, there is on the one I own. You don’t need to unzip the coat to access it. Just open the flap.
There are some find the hood is a bit short, smaller than other Arcteryx shells. It drags head/shoulder while sitting.
Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka vs Therme Parka: Key Differencess
- longer and fits a bit more trim.
- made of a more durable outer face fabric.
- It has more down and It is warmer.
These would be the main differences. Besides that we prepared the chart and present it below, for the ones who want to see a side by side comparison for Arc Teryx Thorsen vs Therme:
|Comparison||Arc’teryx Thorsen||Arc’teryx Therme|
|Price Tag||Check Rates on Amazon||Check Rates on Amazon|
|Our Selection For||The Most Popular||The Most Comfortable|
|Weight||2.42 lbs||2.28 lbs|
|Fill Power||750-fill Goose Down||750-fill Goose Down|
|Number of Pockets||2 Hand Zip|
|2 Hand Pockets|
1 Chest Pocket
|In-depth Review||Check it||Check it|
Read Article: Therme Parka Review
Arc Teryx Thorsen Parka vs Canada Goose Expedition Parka: Key Differences
We evaluated Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka vs Canada Goose Expedition, and the key differences for Thorsen vs Canada Goose Expedition are as follows. First of all, Canada Goose Expedition Parka is for the extreme cold. Thorsen cannot provide the same warmth level. Moreover, the durability of Canada Goose Expedition is excellent for sure, and it has lots of features we liked. However, if you are not living in arctic region, Thorsen will provide more comfortable fit and mobility. Also, Its design is more suitable for in-town use. One more thing before jumping the technical terms, Thorsen is more water resistant compared to Expedition Parka.
Here is the full technical spec comparison of Canada Goose Expedition vs Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka:
Canada Goose Expedition
750 Down-Fill Power
Main Fabric is Arctic-Tech, and coyote fur around hood
Weight 2.02 kg or 4.46 lb
Pocket configuration: 4 zippered exterior, 4 exterior velcro (lower exterior torso pockets are half-fleece lined), 2 arm, 1 zippered interior
Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka
650 Down-Fill Power
2L Gore Tex
Weight 1.11 kg or 2.44 lb
Pocket Configuration: 1 internal and 2 hand zip.
Some Customer Insights for Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review
- I tried models at Canada Goose, Mackage and Arc’teryx. This is by far the least bulky one but still very warm. The longer covers more of the body. Seems very breathable. I ended up with this one and I love it.
- Good coat, but after considerable humming and hawing, I bought the Camosun as I cannot abide by hoods on urban clothing. To make it great I suggest the following:
- I completely agree. Sadly, I bought mine 4 days before you posted. I’m not impressed either.
- For now I just have to wait until it’s cold enough to wear it out. Most days have hardly been below 0. I rarely need my winter jacket until it hits around -10C
- Frankly, I usually don’t buy “casual” jackets, but I figured I shouldn’t use my ice climbing jacket as my town jacket. I was blown away with this jacket, its crazy warm and quite light as well. It’s really great for those cold walks around town.
- Like the Camosun, it looks to flair outwards towards the bottom hem. Suggest changing the cut to taper it inwards (ie: coat gets slightly narrower) towards the bottom hem. Will help with wind and improve the profile of the coat…after all, it is for urban use.
Read: Camosun Parka Review
Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review – Customer Rating 4.5 out of 5 Star based on 46 customer experiences.
Based on our Thorsen Parka Review the Pros/Cons are as follows:
- Extremely warm as mentioned
- Clean lines long.
- Super lightweight
- Waterproof, wind proof, extremely packable, great hood abs neck, long enough to protect thighs
- Materials quality, nice details, perfect length
- Lighter and not bulky warm parka, very well built
- Good looking, great sizing
- Premium look feel and quality, exceptionally warm yet breath able
- Very light weight almost not felt on the body, a good length of the jacket warm a lot of down, sections an excellent membrane, well thought out design.
- Minimalist clean design with no fluff and very comfortable, waterproof with good ventilation
- Clean lines long.
- Light in weight, not too puffy, not like wearing uniforms like, Canada brand
- Design, fit, length, weight, colour perfect
- Durable, fits perfectly, looks nice
- Soft gore-tex outer layer, adjustable hood, storm-cuffs, 750 fill-power goose down
- Formal/casual wear durable gortex outer layer, good length sleeve gaskets
- Premium feel
- Design, fit, length, weight, colour
- Everything about it
- Incredibly warm, great length that doesn’t hinder mobility.
- Zip is not fit for purpose
- Dark color with no reflective strip, cutting is just like a blanket wrapping around you
- Hood sits a little awkward
- Static with inside lining
- Fits too big
- Hood very small
- Zipper cover doesn’t cover, not enough pockets
- Lack of interior dump pockets
- Poppers on sleeves
- A touch too long
- Lack of interior dump pockets
- Grey color sometimes off
- Too few pockets
- No waist adjustment
- Goose down migration
- Bulky around midsection when zipped up
- Hood needs more down
- Dark color with no reflective strip
The Purpose of Usage of the Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka based on 46 Customer Reviews:
- Daily use
- Urban living, Walking dog
- Around town
- Shopping, Going to work
- City life
- Hiking , ski , urban activity and travel in winter
- Urban, winter day trekking
- Arctic town day to day use
- Urban, winter day trekking
- Walking, light activity
- Winter Living
- Commuting, dog walking, snow shoveling, trail walk
- Urban roaming
- Urban, business
- Country side & Urban, winter day trekking
- Winter cycling and alpine skiing
Technical Details of Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review
- N90p GORE-TEX with 2L technology
- Coreloft™ 60 (60 g/m²) insulation. Made with highly crimped multi-denier siliconized polyester yarn, this lightweight, breathable, and thermally efficient, 100% polyester staple fibre is very compressible and has excellent loft retention.
- 750 fill European goose down (192g)
- Machine wash in warm water (30°C).
- Do not use fabric softener.
- Front load washing machine recommended (use a mesh bag for top loading machines).
- Tumble dry on low heat with tennis balls.
- Do not iron.
- Heavily insulated
- Down Contour Composite™ and GORE-TEX technologies maximize insulation benefits
Design & Fit
- Generous length adds comfort and coverage
- Articulated patterning for unrestricted mobility
- Gusseted underarms for mobility and comfort
- Adjustable insulated hood
- Down insulated neck gasket holds in warmth
Zippers & Fly Configuration
- Two-way separating front zip
Cuff & Sleeves Configuration
- Internal cuff gaskets seal in heat
- Drop back hem
- Full seat coverage
- Chest pocket with zip
- Internal MP3/key/card pocket with zip
- Two hand pockets with zippers
- Note: Our WaterTight™ zippers are highly water resistant, but not waterproof. We do not recommend keeping items in your pockets that may be damaged by moisture
- Webbing hanger loop
- DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish repels moisture
S, M, L, XL, XXL
- kg / 2 lb 6.8 oz
Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka SIZING-YOUR BODY MEASUREMENTS IN INCHES:
Check the Below Table For Your Size Before Order:
Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka
Technical outdoor functionality, comfort and durability brought to everyday designs. We like the urban parka the long dark one.
Waterproof, windproof and breathable textiles that offer fully protective environmental shelter.
Highly efficient natural insulation that compacts well and offers excellent warmth to weight.
Conclusion for Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka
To summarize, I loved wearing the Thorsen this past winter, and would purchase it again. I believe it is the best urban styled parka in this price range, that also has technical specs (Gore-tex). It’s lightweight and warm! Most jackets I feel smothered but this jacket I have my full range of motion. It’s well worth the money and you can feel it as soon as you put it on. The best part is that it is extremely durable, waterproof and versatile as you can take this to a formal meeting or to a quick ski trip. The hood down insulated as opposed to the other jackets in the urban category.
Thank you for reading our Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review.
Click on this to read about Arc’teryx Beta AR Review.
Arc’teryx Thorsen Parka Review: Q&A
Exactly where is the Coreloft placed inside this parka?
The Coreloft is strategically placed at the:
- Back hem facing
- Top gusset
- Bottom gusset
- Front hem facing
- Hand pockets
- Left front facing
- Right front facing.
Will Arcteryx offer the Thorsen Parka with a removable hood?
At this time, the hood on the Thorsen and Therme are attached, and we do not have designs on making them detachable. That said, we welcome the feedback, as our designers make informed decisions based on comments such as your’s.
Are there any plans for a dump pocket?
We typically have dump mesh pockets in our ski jackets and a couple of our jackets in our Essentials line which are designed for multiple outdoor activities. We have yet to extend this feature to our urban pieces
I have the Atom LT jacket in size XS and the sleeves fit me well. How long is the sleeve length of the Thorsen Parka in comparison?
The Atom LT as a mid-layer will fit quite differently compared to the Thorsen Parka, generally, if you are a size XS in the Atom Lt it is likely you would be an XS in the Thorsen. Here are the sleeve lengths for both the Thorsen Parka and Atom LT in size XS. Thorsen Sleeve Length: 89.9 cmAtom LT Sleeve Length: 88.5 cm
My blood pressure is low and I suffer from the cold and considering one of your coats. The Thorsen Parka. Do you have a product that has an equivalent insulation to the Thorsen but without a fixed hood?
Warmth is individualistic with many factors to consider, thus it’s not possible to know ahead of time whether or not a jacket will be warm enough for your specific needs. That said, the Thorsen Parka is the warmest jacket in our urban category, thus it may be a good option. All of our jackets have a fixed hood.
What does waterproof mean for this textil? How strong is the model waterproof? How many is that in mm, e.g. 20000 or 28000 mm water column?
For the Thorsen, and most Gore-Tex laminates, the waterproof rating is 28000mm.
How about the small size of Thorsen compared with the Therme XS such as Chest, Sleeve etc?
The Thorsen will differ from the Therme in the following areas in an XS:Chest – 6 cm smaller
Waist – 2 cm smaller.
Sleeve Length – 1.9 cm larger.
Does the thorsen parka use 750 fillpower?
The Thorsen Parka has a 750 down fill.
What‘s the max cold a Thorsen parka can withstand?
The Thorsen Parka is our warmest urban coat with 192g of down insulation at 750 fill power, but it is not designed as an expedition parka for severe conditions in the backcountry or alpine. However, we do not temperature rate our products. Whether a product will be warm enough in a certain temperature will depend on several factors.
First, it will depend on one’s own core body temperature; some people get cold easier and some people overheat more, thereby requiring different layers and products in the same temperature. In addition, core body temperature will be affected by hunger, dehydration and fatigue.
Second, it will depend on what activity one is engaged in while wearing the garment -whether a high-output activity where one is more likely to sweat or a low-output activity where blood circulation is slower.
Third, it will depend on the humidity level and wind chill, not just on the temperature. Both humidity and wind chill will make it seem colder than what the temperature says. I would recommend that you purchase it and try it on at home. If you will feel like it will not be warm enough for you in the conditions that you need it for, you can return it for a full refund provided that it is brand new, with all the tags attached.
How to wash Throsen Parka?
It is very important for down jackets to be dry in the dryer for few hours till its fully dry. If the down is not dry properly, it will cause the down the clumped. We also suggest to dry the product inside out.
- Arc’teryx Nu Care Products
- ReviveX® Down Cleaner
- Grangers® Down Wash
- Fibertec Down Wash
- Nikwax Down Wash Direct.
The Thorsen Parka will not shrink if you put it in the dryer.
Is Thorsen warmer or equals to therme + Atom LT?
The Thorsen parka would technically be warmer than the combo Therme and Atom LT. It is fully insulated with a larger amount of down and is also longer which provide more coverage.
What is the down fill power index?
We currently use 2 types of high power fill the 750 and 850. The Thorsen parka uses 750 fill power.
Are the hand pockets insulated (i.e. behind the insulation and not just covered by the outer shell)? Are the hand pockets insulated, that is, behind the insulation and not just covered by the outer shell?
The pockets are behind the insulation.
Noise-Which one produces the less (Goretex-) ‘noise’ during wearing, the Thorsen or the Therme?
Since both of these jackets are insulated they will not have the same “noise” that some people find Gore-Tex jackets to have. You may find the Therme to be even better!
Packibility: How packable is the thorsen ? Activity: Going travelling around the world with one bag and am thinking I’ll meed one beast of a warm good looking waterproof jacket
The Thorsen Parka is a relatively heavy jacket. The face fabric is very durable so it isn’t supposed to be packed in a stuffed sack like other of our down jackets.On the other hand, the Thorsen uses down so it is easy to compress and take the air out to make it as small as possible.Depending on how small you expect the jacket to be it might compress small enough for your travel.
Waist or hip fit adjustment? Is there a way to tighten the coat around the waist or hip to prevent drafts from entering up from the bottom?
No, but the coat fits so long that this will only be an issue if you mimic the Marilyn Monroe over a windy sewer grate situation.