Long Story Short: Our Review Arc’teryx Beta AR Review
Arc’teryx Beta AR Review: We took a look at key features, customer experiences, pros &cons and comparison with similar products for Beta AR and would like to share it. Hello Guys, this is Jonas Schneider! I am lucky in that I receive some Gore-Tex products “Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket” for testing purposes.
This is used for hiking, around town and mountaineering. It does all these very well in conditions where it is not too warm and where it is expected to be tough. Perfectly sized for these activities too as comfortably enough room to layer underneath.
I would say it is overkill for most scenarios if you wanted to get a cheaper jacket that would be fine and certainly on hikes where you would expect to have it in your bag more (I.e. summer) there would be options I would take instead to be lighter and more breathable but that isn’t really this jackets fault. You need more than one jacket if you want one to be perfect for every scenario. Also, Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket is a bomber which acts as an amazing weather protector.
The sleeves are long, but so are the arms of the rock climbing fit models Arc’teryx uses, so that’s to be expected.
With the hood opening and head band cords both tightened, the hood forms a near-windproof seal around my head, covering my ears and my neck. With the hood fully tightened, I’m still able to turn my head almost 180 degrees without the hood shifting out of place.
The Gore Tex pro makes alot more crinkly sound than any other jacket I’ve owned. It’s not as bad with a fleece underneath, but it is noisy.
I first tried Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket hill walking for around 2 hours in a steady downpour with humidity at 90% and temperature around 16-18c. Under the jacket I only wore a long sleeved baselayer. After around 30 minutes exertion I started to become quite hot and sweaty and had to partially open the pit zips which immediately made things more comfortable. As an experiment I had placed a paper tissue inside each pocket to investigate if they became wet. At the end of the walk the tissues in the outer pockets remained bone dry and the one in the internal chest pocket had become a little damp I presume from the sweat and humidity building up inside the jacket. Needless to say I and my baselayer remained bone dry which is exactly why I shelled out so much for this jacket.
Lengthwise, will a Cerium LT jacket fit okay under a medium Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket?
After personally trying on the Beta AR with the Cerium LT underneath, I noticed that it is a fairly good fit. That being said, when the Cerium is completely flush against the body, it does stick out of the coat slightly at the bottom. To refine this inquiry, here are some exact length measurements for both garments in size Medium.
Cerium LT – 26.8″
Cerium LT – 26.4″
Beta AR – 28.9″
What is Pit Zip by the way?
When you are hiking, climbing, running, you can produce sweat, even in cold weather. In this scenario, Pit Zips are used! Pit zips are the ventilation zippers offered on many hard-shell jackets.
A final comparison;
Zeta LT vs Beta AR: Differences in fitting with Zeta LT jacket ?
The Zeta LT jacket is a trim fit while the Beta AR is an Athletic fit. You will find the Beta AR allows for more layering in colder weather. If you are going to use the item for cold weather I would suggest the Beta AR, but if you are using the jacket in warmer weather the Zeta LT is a better bet.
The Beta AR jacket as a helmet compatible DropHood™ with many adjustment options making it easy to adjust it over your head.
Some Customer Insights from Arc’teryx Beta Ar Review
- As someone who travels abroad frequently, I found this jacket to be the perfect companion. Whether I am stuck in a monsoon in SE Asia, in the jungles of South America, or in an urban city environment, this jacket will do the job. At first I was extremely skeptical to invest so much in a shell… However, within no time, I had zero regrets as I realized this jacket is built to last. No matter where I travel, this jacket ALWAYS comes with me; it rolls up very compactly and easily fits in my messenger bag.
- I have taken this jacket to several hiking/camping trips to Alaska with me in some austere conditions that include cold and hard winds. I am also a Federal Emergency Responder who prepositioned for Hurricane Harvey in Texas and participated in the events of Irma and Maria in St Thomas and Puerto Rico. My Beta AR withstands the harsh wind conditions with good ventilation and the bright RED color of the jacket gave me the confidence to know that I was visible. This is a great product that I will take with me on all my outdoor adventures and when called to respond to future events.
- Perfect jacket for all your needs. Great for shoulder seasons where you don’t know if you will get snow, rain or sunshine but also the dead of winter in the cold. We do a lot of long hikes that take us through different elevations and temps and this jacket adjusts well with venting when you need. I’ve never owned a jacket anywhere near this for how it is windproof which makes all the difference when you are in the open in the winter. The fit is perfect for a large, no excess through the body but still room to layer when you need to. Can’t say enough about this jacket’s versatility and durability. I’ve caught it on tree branches and been worried it would be damaged and it holds up to whatever you throw at it with no pulls or tears. Will last you as long as you need it to.
Arc’teryx Beta AR Review Pros and Cons Customer Rating 4.4 out of 5 Star based on 274 customer experiences.
Pros/Cons based on the survey are as follows:
- windproof waterproof great styling
- looks good
- the material – goretex pro is worth the premium, the workmanship, the design (minimized taped seems), the features….pit zips hood adjust hem draw…, durable, midnight sun: a way cool color
- gussets drop hood truer to fit
- high quality throughout,
- fit so comfortable
- amazing colors
- I suggest this product.
- weather resistance,
- pit zips,
- drop hood
- generous fit
- great jacket design
- no movement restriction, dependable, comfortable in hot and cold weather
- aesthetically pleasing good design,
- very effective gore-tex
- great hood, great all round weather protection, never leaked or became damp when wearing
- fit, waterproof, quality
- fantastic performance in wind and rain
- noisy hoody
- goretex can be a bit noisy at times
- long sleeves
The Purpose of Usage of Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket based on 274 Customer Reviews:
- Wandern, Allpin, Allround
- skiing, mountain biking, everyday use
- Travel, Work, Grocery
- Winter in the city, skiing, snowboarding
- Commuting, hiking, traversing outdoors
- exploring storms
- Everyday wear
- traveling, backpacking.
- Mountaineering around town (previously hiking)
- camping, coastal walking
- Outdoor Adventures
- Hillwalking, climbing and even running!
- Backcountry skiing
- Rain protection,
- EVERYTHING UNDER THE SKY.
Technical Details of Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket Review
Materials of Beta AR
- N40d Most Rugged 3L GORE-TEX PRO
- N80d Most Rugged 3L GORE-TEX PRO – reinforcements
- Machine wash in warm water (40°C).
- Double rinse.
- Do not use fabric softener.
- Tumble dry on medium heat.
- Do not iron.
Technical Features of Beta AR
- Laminated high-strength hanger loop
- Micro-seam allowance (1.6 mm) reduces bulk and weight
- Taped seams for added weatherproofness
- N40d Most Rugged 3L GORE-TEX PRO in the main body keeps jacket light and supple
Design & Fit of Beta AR
- Regular fit ensures optimal ventilation with comfort and mobility
- Longer length for additional coverage
- Anatomical shaping for fit and comfort
- No-lift gusseted underarms
- Helmet compatible DropHood™
- Laminated brim
- Updated hood and collar for improved fit
- Cohaesive™ hood adjustments for ease of use with mittens or gloves
Collar Configuration-Beta AR Review
- Chin guard with brushed microsuede facing for added comfort
- Stand up collar
Zippers & Fly Configuration-Arc’teryx Beta AR Review
- WaterTight™ external zippers
- Pit zippers for easy venting
- Corded zipper-pulls reduce noise and are easy to grab
- WaterTight™ Vislon front zip
- RS™ (Rain Shield) pocket zipper sliders
Cuff & Sleeves Configuration
- Die-cut Velcro® cuff adjusters reduce bulk, and won’t catch or tear off
- Drop back hem
- Adjustable hem drawcord
- Laminated hem
- Internal chest pocket with laminated zip
- Two high-volume hand pockets
- Note: Our WaterTight™ zippers are highly water resistant, but not waterproof. We do not recommend keeping items in your pockets that may be damaged by moisture
- Hardwearing N80d Most Rugged 3L GORE-TEX PRO reinforces high wear areas
- RECCO® reflector in the collar
- Contains materials that meet the bluesign® criteria
- Dope dyed Kingfisher colourway
- DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish repels moisture
ARC’TERYX BETA AR JACKET SIZING-YOUR BODY MEASUREMENTS IN INCHES:
Measurements are in inches. Check the Below Table For Your Size Before Order. Here is the size chart for Arc’teryx Beta AR: Jacket.
Arc’teryx Beta AR Review: Naming
Versatile: high performance for diverse activities and conditions.
High performance weather protection and materials, emphasizing versatility for multiple activities.
Versatile high performance designs for diverse activities and conditions.
Waterproof, windproof and breathable textiles that offer fully protective environmental shelter.
Conclusion for Beta AR Review
As it says “AR”, it really is an all-round jacket. None of the other brands compared to this. I just came off a Columbia jacket and the waterproofing was garbage. The material is a lot tougher than the other brands and when you feel it you feel the quality that goes into every jacket they made. This jacket has seen most of the west coast and I am hoping to take it to the rocky mountains in 2 months. Arc’teryx has really hit a home run with this jacket, keep it up.
My original piece was pretty worn in and had a zipper failure so I sent it to Arc’teryx for a zipper repair. They emailed me back after evaluating it and found that the Gore-Tex layers had delaminated. Sent me a brand new piece a week later and its working great so far. Awesome customer service as usual.
By Jonas Schneider, please get in contact with us for any question or any advise to improve this post.
Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket: Q&A
Is there a correct way to fold the jacket up for when I want to stow it in my rucksack (for example if I want to take the jacket out with me in case it rains while I’m out). I just want to prevent any potential damage from incorrect folding
Arc’teryx Jackets are designed and tested to perform and withstand both weather and abrasion, if you are storing your jacket for a short period of time there are many ways to stow your jacket. A very common way to fold or store a shell jacket is to roll it up into the hood and tightening the cord adjustments to seal it up in a bundle. If you are storing your jacket for a long period of time, as in more than a trip, avoid folding the jacket if possible as hanging will avoid any wear or creases caused by storing the item folded for extended periods of time.
What type of Gore is the 40d and 80d?
The Beta AR jacket will use N80d Most Rugged 3L GORE-TEX PRO plain weave in the shoulders and hood and N40d Most Rugged 3L GORE-TEX PRO plain weave in the body.
Is the new colour Tui a navy colour?
Yes dark navy blue
Our WaterTight zippers are highly water resistant, but not waterproof. What does it mean?
While the fabric on the jacket is waterproof (if it is kept clean and re-proofed from time to time), water penetration will always be a small possibility under certain circumstances on any zipper. Our zippers pass rigorous tests with WL Gore to meet their standards of extreme wet weather, but for instance, if there is water pooling up on the zipper teeth, there will be some moisture that seeps through. Due to this fact, we want to be as transparent as possible to our customers who may be looking to Arc’teryx for their technical gear needs and what should be expected.
What jacket can I buy for-30 temperature?
This is a difficult question as it will highly depend on the type of activity that you are doing. If you wish to have a layering system, we would suggest any of our Gore-tex PRO shells layered with the Cerium SV jacket. If you are looking for an Urban style jacket, we would suggest the Thorsen Parka.
Is there any treatment to make this jacket less noisy?
some GORE-TEX® will be noisier than others . The fabric will get less noisy over time.
Coloring question.. Trying to figure out the chipotle color. Is this more of a red or more of an orange??
The Chipotle colour has a more Orange base with tones of red. It is certainly a mix of the two.There will be more colours in the Beta AR coming out this Fall/Winter season.
I am having trouble determining the actual color of the Kingfisher Beta AR. I can’t tell if it is two shades of gray or two shades of dark blue
The Colour Kingfisher is a dark blue, the two-tone look comes from the two different types of GORE-Tex fabrics which are used to construct the Beta AR jacket.
In the details section for this jacket you mention, “Our WaterTight zippers are highly water resistant, but not waterproof”. Can you confirm does the “highly water resistant, but not waterproof” apply to just the pocket zippers or the main zipper or both.
The statement about our WaterTight Zippers applies to all the zippers used on this jacket, they will provide significant water protection but we would not suggest storing your phone or electronics in the pocket during significant rain. The best option to ensure your moisture-sensitive items are safe will be to utilize other waterproof cases or bags to protect these items.
Is there an arm pocket for a map or lift pass?
There are two external pockets and one internal security pocket that you could use for a lift pass or map. If you are looking for a jacket with a pocket on the arm take a look at the Theta AR or Beta SV jacket.
Is the color mightnight sun already the newer longer version?
The colour Midnight Sun is from Fall 2019 which means that it is the revised version.
I’m not seeing C-knit mentioned in the specs anymore. has something changed?
The Beta AR utilizes the GORE-Tex Pro membrane for its ability to combine both durability and breathability. The Beta AR has been made using GORE Pro since 2013, while Gore-C-knit has been in production since 2015. Gore C-knit is slightly less durable but one of the most breathable GORE-Tex materials available, we use this material in our Zeta series. The Zeta Ar does use GORE C-knit and is both lightweight and highly breathable, perfect for hiking and trekking.
What is a good midlayer jacket to accompany the beta ar? Would the atom lt hoody work or would it get bunched up because of the collar?
The Atom LT Hoody is an excellent mid-layer option and it is compatible with the Beta AR Jacket. Although the hood configuration differs, the Atom LT Hoody has a Scuba Hood that is lower volume than the Drop Hood of the Beta AR Jacket allowing the hoods to nest together comfortably. The lower volume of the Scuba Hood prevents it from being helmet compatible, but it will fit underneath a helmet.
2020 Beta AR vs. 2018 Beta AR? Hello,Aside from the colour choices, are there any differences between the current (2020) Beta AR model and the Beta AR model designed in 2018?
The beta AR released in 2018 will be the same as our current Beta AR, using N80p-X GORE-TEX Pro 3L in areas of high wear and N40r-X GORE-TEX Pro 3L in areas of low wear. It will also have the same fit and drop hood features.Stay tuned for future releases of the Beta AR and other items as we change seasons.
How do you store the hood when not using it?
The Beta AR Jacket does not have a storable hood feature. When not in use, the hood simply hangs.
I was wondering what wash cycle is recommended to wash the jacket. My washing machine has the following wash cycles. Cotton, Synthetic/Easy Care, Delicates, Hand Wash. The label on the jacket shows the tub symbol 40C with two dots, not sure what this is.
To properly wash the Beta AR jacket our care instructions suggest using a warm water wash using a tech wash suitable for GORE-TEX fabrics. Next, ensure to double rinse the jacket before using a front-loading dyer on medium-low heat.
No dryer. How to dry after wash? I recently got a Beta AR and I feel now is a good time to wash it, but I do not own a dryer machine. what is the best solution here?
You can certainly just let the jacket air dry after washing the item and this will not damage the item in any way. The reason that we recommend using a dryer is that the heat will help reactivate the water repellant finish and re-invigorate the face fabric to help shed water. Using a dryer is not essential but can have some noticeable benefits to the water repellency of the garment, even using a dryer periodically can be worthwhile.
What type of insulation does it have? I was wondering if this can be used for -5C to 10C with a Shirt or sweater.
The Beta AR jacket is a shell jacket that should be worn over an insulated piece. It is meant to participate in a layering system as an outer layer to protect you from the wind and the rain.
I’ll be working on a film set (not heavy activity but we’ll be moving, mostly standing) in Extreme cold conditions, snow, wind, – 10 Celsius, I currently have a Beta AR, i’ll have a merino base layer, fleece mid, what do you recommend my 2nd mid layer should be? Do you think an Atom AR is warm enough under my Beta AR? Or a down jacket like the Cerium with 800 Fill Power?
Whether a product will be warm enough in a certain temperature will depend on several factors. First, it will depend on one’s own core body temperature; some people get cold easier and some people overheat more, thereby requiring different layers and products in the same temperature. In addition, core body temperature will be affected by hunger, dehydration and fatigue. Second, it will depend on what activity one is engaged in while wearing the garment -whether a high-output activity where one is more likely to sweat or a low-output activity where blood circulation is slower. Third, it will depend on the humidity level and wind chill, not just on the temperature. Both humidity and wind chill will make it seem colder than what the temperature says.That being said, the Cerium LT is a warmer mid-layer than the Atom AR Hoody.
Does the new Gore tex pro need DWR Does the new GORE tex pro fabric need DWR? Would it benefit from it? What kind of DWR should I use if it does benefit from it.
For any Gore-tex fabric to perform at it’s best it will require a DWR. The DWR is the first barrier against moisture and will stop the jacket from wetting out (when the face fabric has absorbed water but none has penetrated through the gore-tex membrane).If the jacket does wet out, this clogs the pores in the face fabric and prevents the Gore membrane underneath from breathing at its maximum capacity.